tuesday, october 2

 thirty weeks and growing.

i've come to realize that when your pregnant you become sort of a "communal being". i mean your out there, literally exposed. strangers like to tell you the sex of your baby and some even touch your belly before a word is exchanged. friends share their birth stories and have a deep urge to feed you beautiful food. any baby item someone can offer they do. everyone around you seems to want to join in and become part of welcoming this new life into the world. it is a very communal event. so i smile when strangers touch my bump or the cashier says she hopes i'm having a girl while watching my boys rummage about the shop. the baby truly belongs to the world. i just get to be the privileged carrier, the mother, the guide. a friend on maui knew the poem below by heart and used to recite it as a few of us mothers gathered with our babies.


On Children
Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.

Kahlil Gibran

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful thoughts Kristi.
    I cherish the idea that we carry and nurture little beings that belong to the world.
    And I love the idea that we should strive to be like them. There is something innately beautiful about the inquisitive nature of the young.
    I had not heard that poem before - it really is quite stirring!
    Thank you. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your beautiful belly is growing so much, it isn't long to go now. I remember when I was pregnant with my first, I was young and recall many people coming up and touching my belly I actually found it a little difficult to feel as though it somehow belonged to others I didn't know, my friends though I embraced their presence. It sounds like you are embracing the community around you and feeling their love, you are right though our children belong to the world not to us. My mother always said to me that our children are on loan, that we we do not own them but are here to guide them and prepare them for their personal journey I can see that so much more now as my children grow and develop. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that poem - it reminds me of my Mum, but I haven't thought of it for so long, so thank you for the reminder. That's just a basketball under you're top, right? Looking great at 30 weeks lady! Keep well. Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so beautiful. And growing a baby in your belly/bringing a baby into the world is a kind of magic...and everyone likes to feel or witness the sparkle of magic now and then. Even if it's not your own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, gorgeous bump.
    Are you having a blessingway? Please lmk so I can send a bead for your birthing bracelet.
    I will email you.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that poem too! It speaks the truth even though sometimes I don't want to acknowledge it...because, just between you and me...my little babes are so all mine...letting go takes time ;)

    Your baby belly is divine.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, I remember that feeling that just by being pregnant I was somehow bringing joy to the world. I actually never minded people touching my belly, though I know many people do. One of the few times in life that, just by existing, you are doing something positive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photo of little or shall I say big Quinn! Your belly is just so cute and round like you have a basketball beneath that little white dress, very cute and special. Lovely poem, everyone of us is on a journey, not a one the same just like snowflakes in the wind. Our life's journey's take us through many different situations and events.....just the many seasons of life. Enjoy the season you are in as it will lead to the beginning of the next around the corner. Love Ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I was saying and I guess it disappeared for some reason or other. Let's see if I can remember what it was I was about to say. Our life's journey changes just like the seasons, one chapter ends and the next is waiting around the corner. Enjoy the season you are in right now the next is awaiting you! Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh, those words, I love them, thank you for sharing them. You look gorgeous, of course, that's a given x

    ReplyDelete
  11. such precious words. beautiful photos. take good care. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. This poem, your words and pictures and that BEAUTIFUL belly is why I stop by here often.
    Keep well and have fun preparing the new space. We have changed our plans also and are embracing settling into what we too thought would be our temporary home. (Boy do I really hear you on that one sister!) Much love xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your vision of the next baby coming to the WORLD, I'll try to be more optimistic when strangers touch my belly... :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that photo of your bump. I'm currently pregnant with my second and I adore the bump. I know as I head in to the third trimester, that there will be times that I'll feel like a whale and will just want my baby here with me already, but right now, in the easier middle phase, I am loving having a bump again. I think there's nothing more beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful pregnancy photo with the little one playing in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. I didn't even know you were pregnant. (I've been hiding in my cave for a while...) A huge heartfelt and slightly embarrassed belated congratulations.

    What a beautiful poem. xxx

    ReplyDelete